Last year, Autumn Altair published Echoes on Stone Walls. It is "is the soundtrack to a DOS game that doesn't exist". For a limited time it was available on floppy disc but even if you only buy the album digitally, you still get the .mid files as well as audio.

I love the album and I love the fact that it was published as MIDI. Using a notation editor to read the music while listening really does enhance your appreciation of the music.

As part of my work to implement the standard midi instruments into MIDISID and generally test its General MIDI mode, I've been trying various .mid tracks that I own, including some of the tracks from this album.  Here is, track 2, Jesterful Lambast, which I love so much.

I have had to tinker with the midi a little*. Mostly I've had to add some sounds to MIDISID that I had not yet implemented. This track uses the snare rimshot or 'side stick' (percussion note 37), 'atmosphere' (program 100 from the FX group) and 'echo drops' (program 103).  I've not made a perfect job of those yet but at least I have sounds in place, so that you hear something when those notes play.

So here is the track, with the audio captured directly from the back of MIDISID.


Here's a direct link to an audio version of the track on bandcamp.

*I wouldn't alter anything, I just had to remove a couple of lines because of MIDISIDs limitations and in one channel, shorten the notes a little because MIDISID has a problem with notes on a channel overlapping when it's arpeggiating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

e-ther 2 - Announcement and full rundown of features

Enclosures for MIDISID

MIDISID - second batch and giveaway