MIDISID Sunday: Bring your own box

No music video this week, I have a piece of music which I am really happy with, but I'd rather give it another week and make it better than rush something out half-baked.

So here's what happened with my first attempt at an 'enclosure' for MIDISID

I like the idea of a slanted-front box with wooden sides, but I had the idea of angling the top by just adding wooden sides. 


Here's the first go. It's simply a rectangle of scrap wood, around 65mm x 100mm, cut at an angle through the centre to make two identical pieces. Sanded and waxed. 

I made the angle brackets (10mm x 10mm x 50mm) from a chip tube. (Later found to be a little bit flexible, would be better cut from metal). They're drilled with smaller holes for tiny self-tapping screws, and bigger (3mm) holes for the mounting holes in MIDISD's PCBs.


Note that MIDISID comes apart for installing in a box or enclosure. The top part is connected to the bottom with a standard JST-SH 4-way cable, you can buy a longer one if needed. Make sure that it's 'crossed' and not 'straight'.


This is the first result. It's not bad but it looks as if the top/back extends too far. 


One more cut was needed. 


This isn't bad. The top is now angled forward so that you can see the screen more easily when using the controls, and when sitting further back from it. 

I'll definitely make myself a 'mark 2'. The woodwork and finishing could be better,  I'd like to make the brackets from metal so that the thing feels solid when using the controls, and reposition them a little. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enclosures for MIDISID

e-ther 2 - Announcement and full rundown of features

MIDISID - second batch and giveaway